Steve Mullins, the chair of Strategic Proposals’ board, is one of the leading lights in the world of procurement. While we were chatting the other day, he made a marvellous observation:
What’s the scariest phrase for a buyer to hear after selecting their supplier?
“What a brave decision!”
• I want to have to work really, really hard personally to make this work
• I don’t mind my users shouting at me
• I don’t mind my bosses shouting at me
• If it’s late, who cares….?
• Unexpected extra costs? I don’t mind going to ask for more money
• Bring on the excitement – I love surprises!
I doubt it. And it re-emphasises the need to think about the customer’s hopes and – especially – fears when formulating your proposal strategies.