I recently heard a piece on the radio entitled, “I’m Still Amazed That…”
This got me thinking as to what still (after more than 25 years at it) amazes me about proposals.
So here’s my list…
I’m still amazed that…
- So many sales people don’t understand the value of a proposal within the selling cycle.
- More often than not, the emphasis is more on getting the document completed on time than on quality.
- So many people working within proposal support aren’t even aware of, let alone are a member of, APMP.*
- We’re still printing SO documents as hard copies. (In my nightmares, when I reach the gates, there’s a Tree in charge asking me to account for my actions.)
- The cost of proposals is often seen as, “Well, let’s see. There’s the paper we used, the toner. And oh yeah, we bought some pizzas, didn’t we?”
- Jay Herther knows as much about proposals as he does. If you haven’t seen Jay present or read one of his books, do check out his books or catch him when he comes to a conference near you!)
- With more than 2 million air miles under my belt, I’ve only had my luggage “go missing” (I can’t help but think that the recently late and in my opinion incredibly great [dare I use profound?] George Carlin would have had a field day with that expression!) twice and never had a bag not found and promptly delivered to me the same or next day.
- People say such nice things about the presentations Jon and I deliver.
- I get to do what I consider to be “Fun” for a living. (And yes, I do know I’m a lucky man!)
*I’d like to think I wouldn’t have to tell a reader here that APMP stands for, but just in case…it’s the Association of Proposal Management Professionals.